Presented in mostly chronological order.
– Talk is cheap. It still goes to say: Marcone is The Man. I love Marcone.
– Mavra’s back. As a henchman. To Drakul. Eh.
– DRAKUL IS A STARBORN.
– Who refuses to tell Harry anything about what it means, naturally. Gah.
– “At this point of conversations like this one, I often offer the dark gift of immortality to someone in your position….but honestly, five minutes of you in my life has been quite enough.”
– Wild Bill dies and so does Yoshimo, probably also Chandler. 😦 For people with hardly any screentime, it’s…unexpectedly sad. That being said, screw the Black Court, seriously.
– That being said, there’s something of a disconnect between: mortal humans have all but eradicated the Black Court because of Bram Stoker’s instruction manual, and “the Black Court is THE STRONGEST kind of vampire, hands-down, no contest.”
– Einherjaren vs jotuns = lots of people screaming and looooooots of blood.
– MURPHY’S CALLSIGN IS VALKYRIE COME ON PEOPLE.
– Jim Butcher is a genius. When the hero gets a last-minute infodump from a literal talking head in the middle of a battle, it feels completely natural and realistic to learn that the stakes of the battle is actually the nature of reality and the reality of human existence.
– “Defilade the crap out of them.” “No, we want to be in defilade. You want them to be in enfilade.” “Whatever.”
– The Winter Knight mantle is actually not just the cloak of a thug…it’s the banner of a General. With all the responsibilities that come with it. (poor Harry).
– Damnit Butcher.
– Valkryrie she’s gonna be a valkyrie damnit damnit damnit. Damn you Butcher.
– No one in the Dresdenverse has a son. Everyone has daughters, everyone. Why?
– What the heck is Listen? He’s a mortal and yet he’s got Ethniu’s ear and he’s way more competent than King Corb. (although that’s not particularly difficult when Corb is supposed to be a sniveling, malicious, snidely-whiplash type villain).
– “And that’s how maybe two hundred and fifty fae charged five thousand Fomor at the Battle of the Bean.”
– NO I LIKED THE ERLKING WHY IS HE GETTING WHALLOPED
– (Marcone has upgraded from one flintlock pistol to MANY FLINTLOCK PISTOLS.)
– “We didn’t charge into the fray so much as aggressively shamble. But into the fray we went.”
– OH WAIT OH WAIT GARD WORKS FOR ODIN NEVER MIND HE’LL BE OKAY. HE’LL BE OKAY RIGHT? RIGHT?
– OH FUCK MARCONES NECK GOT BROKEN SCREW THIS
OH FUCK HE DID IT. HE’S THORNED NAMSHIEL GODDAMN IT MARCONE. NO. I LIKED YOU SO MUCH BEFORE THIS. I mean, it’s one thing to have a mortal who has the guts and intelligence to stand up to supernatural threats and it’s one thing to have a mortal who is in thrall whether they know it or not to a literal fallen angel.
I do not appreciate this. So much for my theory about Good King John Marcone. Damnit.
– “No I don’t have any gopher wood. No one has any gopher wood. I’m not even sure it exists anymore.”
– OH HE WAS TRYING TO BUILD AN ARK AAAAUUUGH LOL
– Thomas??? JUSTINE??? GOODMAN GREY??
– OH FUCK IT WAS JUSTINE. DAMNIT. IT HAS ABSOLUTELY NO EMOTIONAL IMPACT AND IS RESOLVED/solved, anyway, WITHIN A SINGLE CHAPTER. DAMNIT BUTCHER. THAT IS NOT GOOD WRITING IT IS JUST SLOPPY.
– Murphy and Hendricks are Einherjar. But they aren’t coming back until all mortal memory of them has been lost.
– Michael Carpenter on the White Council of Wizards: “Those fuckers.” [redacted] “I’ll be happy to do penance, Lord.”
– The Feds are the Librarians….the Librum Bellum. Also known as the Men In Black. Heh.
– Is…is Lara a Harry/Marcone shipper….???????? Ew.
– GODDAMNIT NO NOT HARRY/LARA I SWEAR MURPHY IS NOT EVEN FREAKING COLD IN HER….VALHALLA….WHAT THE HELL NO. MAB NO.
– At least Molly got to go home.
– This one also only took me about three hours to read (5:00-7:49 a.m.) I feel distinctly cheated. I also had to *actually pay* for this one. My Russian Bot friends have let me down!